Thursday, October 27, 2005

Charlie D and Albie E didn't like to answer mail either...

I've got to stop commenting on the Yahoo! News wire. For one thing, far too many people post blogs about their thoughts on these stories and because it doesn't really make for an interesting post but I saw this article( http://www.cbc.ca/story/science/national/2005/10/27/Einstein-Darwin051027.html?ref=rss) ) about how people (such as Einstein and Darwin) answered their mail in similar ways that we answer our emails. That is to say (for those that didn't read the article) we answer some immediately, we put some off, and we ignore the rest. I happen to be a horrible offender of the second category, putting it off, and have probably lost or definitely weakened some friendships because of it. Now these guys had excuses not to answer so much mail. It takes a long time to write and people wrote differently back then with nice penmanship with well formed sentences and a poetic flair. They also were probably busy with their world changing science.

Just by reading this post you can obviously see how far we have fallen witht he written word and I would never even write this much in an email. Most of my email consists of this:

"Yo Person X, What's up? Things are good here. Saw so and so last week they're pretty good. Hope you're doing well. I'll see you at the wedding. Later, Rick"

Not exactly Shakespeare and probably not Darwin either. So, I don’t really have a good excuse for not answering my email.

Disclaimer: I have never read a letter written by Darwin or Albert E so I'm assuming they had nice penmanship and a poetic flair to their words. There is a good chance that I'm full of shit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home